Plant v Animal Protein the reality
Plant v Animal Protein the reality…
Protein is essential for the health and wellbeing of every human and plays a significant role in sports performance by supporting recovery, regeneration and immunity. Endurance athletes should use protein as a tool to improve performance, quality of training and health.
Endurance athletes in structured training should look to consume 1 – 1.4 grams of protein per kilogram of body weight.
The protein dilemma for athletes…
Real food is always best but getting enough non-processed, high-quality protein can be expensive, time-consuming to prepare and currently unsustainable for the planet if animal-based.
Historically, protein shakes and bars, in general, have been animal-based and heavily processed.
Plant protein sources have also struggled to deliver a simple, fast complete plant protein solution that is easy to absorb, does not include Soy and tastes excellent.
The plant protein solution for athletes and the planet.
- Use a complete plant protein blend that delivers a high quantity of essential and non-essential amino acids and optimises absorption.
- Use a complete plant protein blend that delivers Leucine, Isoleucine, Valine, Arginine and Glutamine specific amino acids to support athlete recovery.
- Use a complete plant protein blend that contains some natural carbohydrates to support regeneration and refuelling for future training.
- Use an advanced complete plant protein blend that promotes increased absorption and mixes well with water or non-dairy milk.
- Cut the amount of animal-sourced protein in our daily diet.
Focus on complete plant protein shakes or bars to supplement daily, weekly protein intake goals supporting intense, power and volume training.
Our solution for athletes…
Using the best science to unlock the protein power of plants, athletes can now use complete plant protein blends to supplement and reduce their reliance on processed and animal-based protein sources.
Game-changing brands like Form Nutrition and Veloforte deliberately focus on the science of performance for athletes to deliver complete protein solutions that taste great, save time, work with our bodies and are kind to the planet.
We use Veloforte Mocha with its 10 grams of complete plant-based protein bars after long rides, runs, and snacks during the days we commute to work on the bike.
We use Form Nutrition Performance protein blend with 30 grams of complete plant protein, 5 grams of glutamine and 5 grams of BCAA’s straight after early morning training, strength training and high-intensity sessions. We mix the blends with non-dairy milk or water.
We will also use Form Nutrition’s Superblend protein in the evening to get a sweet tooth hit but won’t dip into the cookie jar.